Monday, February 25, 2008

It's pretty scary when you can't turn us off just by closing a window

So, I went to my first Expat Quiz Night here in Reykjavík last Friday. Apparently they have them once a month at Café Cultura, in the Intercultural Centre, but then how would I know because I’m obviously not a genuine expat, just as I’m not a genuine Nicelander. [Falling through the cracks: the story of my life *sob*]. In fact I wouldn’t even have known about it if my friend Jonas hadn’t alerted me, which I’m certainly glad he did because a) I had a blast b) we came in second and even won a prize, huzzah! c) they have Leffe on tap up there. The total spoils amounted to about 700 kronur for each of us, which meant we broke even [it cost 500 kronur in] and earned us a small subsidy towards our next beer. Sweet.

On our team [of five] was a guy named Simon, who was holidaying from Toronto because apparently they don’t get enough cold and snow over there. Our conversation went something like this:

YT: So, you’re from Toronto?
Simon: Yes I am.
YT: I used to live in Toronto.
S: Oh really?
YT: Where in Toronto do you live?
S: Cabbagetown.
YT: Oh, I used to live in Cabbagetown.
S: Really?
YT: Yeah. I lived on Spruce Street.
S: I live on Spruce Street.

Crazy, huh? Turns out he’d come to Niceland last year and had been bitten by the dreaded Niceland Bug [to which some foreigners seem particularly susceptible], so he’d turned up again. In the interim he’d been corresponding with Jonas and Eliza [who also showed up at the pub quiz] through the Iceland Review website, and was also familiar with the Weather Report, although he didn’t figure out until a couple of ‘entertainment breaks’ [i.e. cigarette and drink-run breaks] who YT was. At which time he was duly floored, and blurted out: “My God, my virtual life is coming true! You people actually exist!”

Definitely the quote of the evening if you ask me.

THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MORNING SINCE, UM YESTERDAY
It’s gorgeous out there – sunny and cold, with barely a hint of a breeze. [Yesterday morning was gorgeous as well.] It’s set to cloud over around noon, though, with strong winds and precipitation later. Meaning I should get meself out for a run pronto. Temps -5°C [23F] and the sun came up at 8.51, will go down at 6.32 pm.

Labels: ,