Tuesday, April 15, 2008

If you had a quarter to spend in a jukebox, what would you play?

Dear readers, I'm in the midst of a small conundrum and need your assistance.

It's like this: EPI belongs to a 'listening club' - i.e. a few times a year he and his pals get together for an evening, eat some good food and drink some beer [or whatever] and introduce each other to new and inspiring music they've found since the last time.

It's a pretty cool undertaking, but what's even more cool is that for the last three years or so they've added an annual event, in which they invite us, their wives/girlfriends, and cook up a spectacular gala dinner with all the trimmings. In preparation for this dinner, everyone must choose a song that they want to bring, and before the event all the songs are gathered together and burned on a disk.

This is now happening on Saturday, and EPI just reminded me this evening that I have to pick my song. This year's assignment is to bring 'a song that you have a physical response to', i.e. that makes you want to get up and dance, or at the very least tap your foot.

I've just had a quick peruse through my iPod and every time I think I've found my song, I go a little bit further and think NO! THIS IS IT! and so on, all the way down. Anyway, I've narrowed it down to just a few, and I'd really REALLY appreciate you leaving me a comment and telling me which song YOU would pick [hoping you know at least some of them]. And soon please, because I have to pick one tomorrow.* Here goes:
  1. Acrobat - U2
  2. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
  3. Call the Law - Outkast
  4. Crazy in Love - Beyonce
  5. Ex-Girlfriend - No Doubt
  6. Hey Ya! - Outkast
  7. Hips Don't Lie - Shakira
  8. Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
  9. I Hate You So Much Right now - Kelis
  10. Jigsaw Falling Into Place - Radiohead
  11. Let's Go Crazy - Prince
  12. Misty Mountain Hop - Led Zeppelin
  13. Mysterious Ways - U2
  14. Objection (Tango) - Shakira
  15. She Moves On - Paul Simon
  16. Suffragette City - David Bowie
  17. Thriller - Michael Jackson
  18. Umbrella - Rihanna
  19. When Doves Cry - Prince
  20. When Doves Cry - Quindon Tarver
Remember, it has to make you want to cut a rug! or tap a foot.

WE WERE ALL WAITING FOR SPRING TO ARRIVE TODAY
The weatherman told us well in advance to prepare ourselves: today would be the day that spring arrived. YT eagerly opened the blinds this morning, expecting to see it sitting out in the backyard, but found just the same old cold sun grinning back. Around noon it started to cloud over and I thought that surely spring would sail in on a cloud bank, but bizarrely it didn't. Still, perhaps it will creep in tonight, since we have 6°C [43F] now at 11 pm, which is rather unusual to say the least, considering how things have been for the past few weeks. Sunrise was at 5.55 this morning, sunset at 9.02 pm.

* Even if you don't make it by tomorrow, I'd still like to hear your picks.

Labels: